Monday, March 9, 2015

Happy Hour

As god is my witness I have never experienced anything like this, and I'm pretty old.  I've been around alcoholism regularly for a long time, too, and I've never been a part of this.  This dude is drinking.  This dude does not care how flimsy his excuses are.  I remember setting a can of beer down at my feet as a cop car pulled up and telling the cop, with a straight face, that it wasn't my can of beer.  I believed myself and I figured I could get him to believe me, too.  It was ridiculous.  I remain convinced that I could beat the shit out of a lie detector.  I don't think that needle would budge.

George Costanza: "Remember - it's not a lie if YOU believe it."

The meeting topic last night was resentment and the solution to the problem ended up at Powerlessness as it so often does.  We all come to the conclusion - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly - that we only get to control what's inside our own hula hoop.  Other people are fine.  The government is fine.  The whole fucking world is fine.  We are going to enjoy life a lot more if we stop trying to control other people.  That person that is driving you crazy is fine; in fact, that person is a gift.

My dad gets so aggravated at the other residents that he has been known to get up mid-meal, leaving his food right where it is, and storm back up to his room.  He also goes down to Happy Hour every day and seems to tolerate all of these incredibly irritating people for as long as Happy Hour lasts.

I see the contradiction.

No comments: