Sunday, March 8, 2015

One Day At A Something or The Other

And here I am in The Old City.  Maybe I'm supposed to sit quietly with my ailing, grieving father and that's it, that's all I'm supposed to do.  Just sit quietly.

It's so tempting to try to solve other people's problems especially for a guy like me who has made such a stunning success with his own life.  Hell, I'm lucky if I can find my car keys.

I have been getting a lot of very basic advice from my paisanos during the last week: Do what's in front of you.  One day at a time.  Take the next right step, do the next indicated thing.  My life is so often very easy and I sail along handling little niggling problems of prosperity.  I guess I'm in the minute when I do this stuff.  It makes me pull up sharply when things spiral out of control and I have to take the advice I so blithely dispense.  It's a lot easier when it's coming out of mouth and at you than the other way around.  I'm lucky someone bigger than me hasn't fucking clocked me over the years.

No comments: