Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Verging on an Edge

Edge:  A sharp terminating border; a margin; a brink; an extreme verge.  

Pushing the envelope.  The Edge.  God, how I loved the Edge when I was drinking.  I confess that I have a bit of a love affair with it still today.  Sometimes I talk to people about my life and I get the sense that they think it sounds a little boring.  If they only knew about The Edge.

The thing about The Edge is that it makes The Middle a lot more palatable.  I push the envelope and then when I'm back in The Middle I think: "Wow, is this great."  But it's living a little ragged that makes The Middle seem normal.  Get it?  Huh, get it?  Because I'm not sure I do.  Right now I'd love to go over to the tap and get a big, fucking glass of tap water and drink it down so fast that half of it spills down the front of my shirt.  I'm really looking forward to a couple of days of dull routine.

Today we have an off day and it is much appreciated.  To sleep in a bit, eat a leisurely breakfast, and come back to the room on no time schedule.  

An intense and occasionally frustrating experience to the motherland of Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, and Jainism.  Yowser.

No comments: