Monday, January 5, 2015

I Hope I'm Not Dying

Here is some more on the will situation . . . 

Shorty sent me a note thanking me for putting him in a position of such trust.  It IS an honor, isn't it?  I say again: this is an amazing fellowship that we're part of.  I was at a meeting a few weeks ago where a friend of mine - someone I know casually but really like and hope to get to know better - mentioned some things that I had said last November that helped him out.  It almost brought tears to my eyes, partially because I was so grateful to be in a position to help someone else, instead of just thinking about myself,  and partially because this guy took the time to personally acknowledge me.  That's all there is to it.  I make everything so complicated when it is, in fact, pretty simple.

Shorty also mused about death and dying, in a very healthy, self-aware manner.  We need to think about the temporary nature of life while not getting morbid about it.  It takes some courage to make plans that ensure a smooth transition if I die.  I don't expect to die and I'm not worried about it, but it could happen, and if it does, my affairs are in order.  The Fellowship teaches me that it's a fool's errand to run after pleasure and to run away from pain.  Keep it all in balance.  I'm going to get some of both so it's not worth obsessing over.

I got to talk to Shorty a few years back when his mother was dying.  She was a woman of great grace and faith and she passed away peacefully, surrounded by a group of women from her church.  His father was not able to be so accepting when this was happening.  Even though I didn't have any direct experience with what he was going through I knew that the things I was hearing, his experience, strength, and hope, was going to serve me in good stead some day.  I didn't particularly enjoy the topic and I'm sure he didn't either, but I'm a better person for it today, better able to talk to my dying sponsor.

It's really that simple.  I don't know why I make it so complicated.

No comments: