Sunday, January 25, 2015

Expiration Date

Expired:  That is no longer valid; that has been breathed out; dead.

Virtually all the food that we eat here is prepared fresh.  Packaged foods invariably have outlived their advertised shelf life and I mean 2014 and beyond.  We're not talking a lot outdated - we're talking outdated.  The fucking Coca Colas are outdated.  I am under the impression that when a Coke is bottled it has like a 20 year shelf life.  When do they buy this stuff and more importantly, where do they get it?  Are there big consolidators who buy outdated stuff and resell it?  Blows my mind.

At breakfast I had to beat off the staff who wanted to refill my coffee cup until I actually wanted a refill at which point the two young men I flagged down nodded agreeably, big smile, and then disappeared forever.  I didn't really need any more coffee anyway which kind of sucks.  This is a tea country so Nescafe is the norm even in a fine restaurant.  They take a hot pot, pour in a big dollop of brown powder, and add hot water, right in front of you.  They're not pretending it's coffee.

I had deep fried vegetable balls, oatmeal with olives, brown toast with marmalade, grilled tomatoes with cheese, and a variety of Indian breads for breakfast.  Good shit.

No comments: