Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Temples of Ranakpur

At one of the set of temples we visited - built 600 years ago by a wealthy businessman in the Jain caste - there was an arch reputed to have the power to grant the prayer of anyone who stood under it and prayed, only if the penitent kept the prayer to himself.

Back in the car I asked SuperK what she prayed for.  I liked saying the prayer but I'm not too big on the god giving people what they want part of the equation, so breaking the Jain vow of silence didn't upset me at all.  If god really did make dreams come true there would be a whole HELL of a lot of rich people, I can tell you that.

"I can't tell you that," she said, dotting her Tees and crossing her Eyes as usual.

"I prayed that our young guide would get everything he wanted," I said, true dat.


"That's sweet," she said.  "You're always thinking of other people"

"Well, first I thought about praying to be as rich as shit," I said.  "But that didn't feel quite right."

"I should have known," she said.

Ah, god is going to do what god wants to do anyhow.

No comments: