Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Bobsled Run

So I'm at an old English hotel on the fringe of the Ranthampore Tiger Reserve, waiting for our driver to pick us up to take us god knows where, at a high rate of speed.  I feel like I'm getting ready to step off my nice, secure platform, take off my nice warm ski outfit, and skid on my ass down a very steep bobsled run.  This particular bobsled uses a spiked fence to stop any wayward bobsledders so I'm worried about that first step.  

My fucking phone rings.  Connectivity has been very spotty here so I was kind of surprised.  I see Spandex's name.  I answer the phone.  Sounds like he was next door instead of 6,000 miles and 10 time zones away.  I talk a little bit about the trip - which is so fantastical as to be indescribable, and this from a guy who can talk at length about anything, no knowledge needed - and then I ask how he's doing.  To my amazement he actually talks a little about himself - this  was the greatest gift a friend could give me because I was frazzled and bedazzled and agog about the whole trip.  I have whipsawed between "I'm never coming back here" to "OK, I love India again" on a bi-daily basis.  So to talk Program with a guy I've known forever while I'm sitting in a nature preserve far, far from my support network was EXACTLY what I needed.  That's all it took to right my ship.

God Bless You, Spandex.

No comments: