Saturday, January 24, 2015

Black Sabbath Redux

We are riding the tiger.

My favorite music is performed by Black Sabbath and my second favorite group is AD/DC.  I like a lot of music of a similar ilk but these two groups are far, far above anything else that catches my fancy.  I like to listen to them still, 45 years after the first time they deformed the air that produced the sound waves that registered in my ears.  I play the music loud and I can listen to it for a while but I can't play it loud for very long.  I get tired of the frantic pace and I get worn out from the assault on my senses that heavy metal played loud can produce.

India is like listening to Black Sabbath at Volume Eleven non-stop.  I catch my breath in my nice hotel compounds and then back into the fray I go.  It is, frankly, exhausting.

India is like trying to read over the sound of a jackhammer busting up concrete in the street right outside.  Eventually you may be able to ignore enough of the racket to actually get some reading done but it's going to be tough.  Then, when the jackhammering stops you can't believe how quiet everything is.  I have been listening to a jackhammer for 15 days.

Yowser.

No comments: