Friday, August 1, 2014

$7.20

Willie told a story yesterday about giving some money to a guy who approached him in a church parking lot.  Willie was a little bit suspicious of the guy after the fact.  He had a pretty good story that he told pretty well - almost practiced-like - and he first asked to use Willie's phone to call someone who Surprise! wasn't home.  Then came the request for money and not a vague amount like a dollar or two, either, but $7.20, an number which helped reinforce both the dubiousness and the plausibility of the plea.  Willie tossed the guy a tenner and wondered if he had been sold a bill of goods.  He wasn't upset - just curious.

I told him my opinion - irregardless of his interest in receiving it - about money: give it away if you can afford it.  Don't worry about where it ends up, even if it may end up in someone's pocket or in the cash register of a liquor store, because most of the time it helps out someone who needs the help.  I know I've been screwed before but I don't care because I think I've done more good with the occasional buck or handful of change that I let loose from my cold, greedy grip.  I don't want to be the guy refusing some much needed help to someone in tough circumstances because I'm worried the money might go for a pack of cigarettes or a bottle of wine.  So be it.   I'd rather concentrate on the homeless guy who's now going to be able to get something to eat.

As my grip tightens on a thing the amount of power it has on me grows exponentially.


No comments: