Saturday, August 9, 2014

I Got Nothin'

As a general rule I'm not a big fan of prayers.  They seem too regurgitated to me, too "this is the way you're supposed to do it."  I'm especially not a big fan of prayers by famous people that a lot of people all say at once.  That's freaky mindless stuff.

Don't tell me what to say.

We read, as part of my Saturday 11th Step meeting, the prayer of Saint Frank of Assisi.  Pretty good prayer, really.  I was struck by the part that suggests we try to love rather than be loved, understand rather than be understood, comfort rather than be comforted.  It twists my thinking around so that the other person is the focus.  I concentrate so much on what I'm taking out of a relationship and not what I'm putting into it, and my relationships suffer as a result.

I need to think about this as I prepare to head home where people are definitely not going to do it the way I want it to be done.

No comments: