Monday, August 4, 2014

Letting Go

Semantics:  A branch of linguistics studying the meaning of words.

I'm reminded of the story of the drunk who decides to wander around the top of a steep cliff after a night of drinking.  Inevitably, he stumbles over the edge and escapes death on the jagged rocks below by miraculously grabbing onto a tree branch poking out about half way down.

He starts to scream for help.

"Help, help," he screams.

Cracking the silence is a deep voice: "I can help you, my son."

"Who is it?"  the drunk screams, somehow holding on even though he's drunk enough that he thought it was a good idea to wander around the top of a cliff while he was drunk, at night.  Did I mention it was night?  This guy is a real horse's ass.

"It's god, my son," says the voice.

"Thank god, god," the drunk screams, clearly not thinking through the semantics of his reply.  "What do I have to do?"

"You have to let go," god says.  "Let go and I will save you."  

The drunk, tiring, thinks for a minute.

"Is there anyone else up there?" he screams.

No comments: