Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pushing Buttons, Pulling Levers, Crashing Planes

So, here I am, sitting pretty, living large, on top of the world, with a solution to my vexing problems and a very viable back-plan firmly in place.  I go to my 7AM meeting and yuck it up at my family's expense, to a few desultory laughs.  (Actually, I don't do that - I yuck it up at my expense because everyone finds that a lot more hilarious.  They know who the %$!! problem is, after all).

I texted a friend a few days ago whose mother lives in the same retirement community as my parents.  He comes over for the Sunday brunch often and we usually eat together when I visit - he's in the same Program class as I am and there's a bond there that's hard for outsiders to comprehend.  He was the kind soul who let me use a car for an entire week the last time I was in town at a total cost to me of approximately nothing.  We penciled in the second Sunday of my visit for a meal as he is out of town on vacation for the next 10 days.

This morning, after my meeting, I get this text: "I have a car at the airport that you can use until we get back."  I do not question the sincerity of offers like these when they come from Program people.  He made the offer because he wanted to, and I accepted because it is very, very helpful.  I thanked him a couple of times, and I let it go at that.  I think it devalues the offer to refuse a gift given - an offer is an offer sincerely made.  Thanks means thanks.

The point is that once I let go solutions came my way.  I'd like to say that the solutions are always convenient like they are in this case - lamentably not the case - but the situation clears up.  The important thing is that when I'm pulling the levers and pushing the buttons I can never get the damn plane to take off.  When I go back to my seat in coach and let the damn pilot fly the damn plane I get where I'm supposed to go.

Now, I still don't want to go back but that's a whole 'nother topic.

No comments: