Monday, January 7, 2013

The Airing of Grievances


Happy:    Experiencing the effect of favorable fortune; having the feeling arising from the consciousness of well-being or of enjoyment; enjoying good of any kind, as peace, tranquility, comfort; contented; joyous.


Happiness really is overrated.  It's over-emphasized at the very least.  That being said I wonder why I spend so much time and effort pursuing it.  It's a phantom, always out of reach, just around the next corner.  Talk about a fool's errand.

I went to an early morning meeting today, a meeting I like.  I was hoping to attend a "good" meeting and by "good"  I mean "a meeting where I get to share to general acclaim and where everyone who talks says something that I think is good" - something that pleases me, conforms to what I think an appropriate recovery M.O. should look like.  Talk about a fool in action and right out of the chute, too.

The meeting really was kind of crappy but that's not the point - I have to remember eventually to take whatever happens in stride.  It's quite the fool who expects a bunch of barely sane alcoholics to get going in anything remotely approaching the same direction.  But today I could feel myself getting increasingly annoyed as events unfurled.  There was some Airing of Grievances quickly by a woman who totally ignored the excellent topic - she clearly had these remarks well prepared before she arrived - followed by some pointed, passive-aggressive cross talk.  If I'm the first person to talk and the next person mentions that sometimes the only thing they're going to take away from today's meeting is a realization that there are some really sick people at meetings, that's cross talk.  Finally, the old timers started in with all of the lies and misremembrances about the Good Old Days when groups of drunks Did It Right.  Shoot me if I ever do that.

I was just an ass in a seat this morning.

No comments: