Thursday, January 10, 2013

Social Media and Seaweed

An old friend of mine posted a short video on FB this morning.  It was of a political nature.  It was on the far end of one of the ends of the political spectrum and it provoked some heated remarks from people who inhabit the other far end of the spectrum - this is unfortunately what passes for political discourse in our country today.  Honestly, I think my buddy did it to stir up some shit more than anything else.

I thought the responses were so extreme that they bordered on clinical paranoia so I decided to post some shit of my own - it was tongue-in-cheek but I was going to do nothing but rile the feathers of the conspiracy theorists.  I know something about "restraint of tongue and pain," having learned many lessons the hard way so I summoned SuperK for an editorial review before I went all electric on this guy's ass.  She laughed at the ridiculousness of the comments, flashed me a thumbs up, so onto FB it went.

A moment later I deleted the post.  In my morning meditation I always ask that I be shown better ways of being of service to my fellow man.  Writing something that was only going to infuriate some one whose mind is totally made up does not fall in the "being of service" category.   It falls more in the "being an asshole" category,"  another category I have some serious experience with.

But, man, it was such a great post - snide, condescending, and inflammatory.  I dearly hated to waste it.

No comments: