Monday, January 28, 2013

First: Meditate

The following is a true story.  

It is mostly a true story except for the parts I made up.  Some of these parts I made up on purpose and some of them are my attempts to re-create a true story that I read in the newspaper, but can no longer remember clearly, even though it was just yesterday.  And I have to assume it's a true story.  Maybe the person who told the story is a big, fat liar like me and the reporter who interviewed her was too lazy or corrupt to check up on the facts.

This lady had some bad, bad thing happen to her.  She was so angry at the person who did this thing that it affected all other parts of her life.  She was very unhappy.

Somehow she talked her way into a personal appointment with the Dali Lama.  This seems pretty unlikely but you never know.  She shared her tale with the DL.  

He said: "You should do two things.  First: meditate.  Then forgive the person who wronged you."

She said: "I can't forgive this man."

The DL leaned over and tapped her on the knee, smiled: "Well, meditate then."


I meditate on a daily basis.  I really do - I'm not lying here.  I'm not any good at it, I don't think, but I give it a whirl.  It really helps, this crappy meditating, but I still often begrudge the time, what with all of my busy activities, watching college basketball and drooling in the sun and everything.

That Dali Lama can't be totally wrong.

No comments: