Saturday, January 5, 2013

Patience Right Now

When something good happens to me I feel guilty - I'm sure that it's going to be snatched away.  When something bad happens to me I nod my head knowingly - I deserved it, I expected it, I knew it was coming.  I'm like an abused dog - even if you come up to me to give me a pat on the head I flinch, expecting a kick.  And this from a guy who has been showered, absolutely inundated with blessings.  Clearly I'm not that smart.

OK, so I keep going to the large early morning meeting here in Vacation City - the one were no one is bowling me over to make sure I feel welcome.  I have met a couple of people with whom I engage the barest of pleasantries.  I feel like I have the barest of toeholds.  I forget just how impatient I am, how I want things RIGHT NOW.  It's no wonder it was hard to get sober; I had to compare the immediate effects of drugs and alcohol with day after day of consistent behavior, eyeing a nice future that I was dubious of.

God grant me patience immediately.

No comments: