Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bonds of Sobriety

I spoke on the phone to my friend Willie yesterday.  He was in a good spot so after a minute he asked me how I was doing.  I had to breathe into a paper bag for a few minutes, prone on the floor, to stop hyperventilating.  When I had recovered my composure I shared what was going on in my life.  Frankly, to paraphrase, I said something along these lines: "I spent all morning counting my diamonds, took a nap, and then tallied up my sacks of gold in the afternoon."

He said: "Hey, the next time I'm in a meeting can I tell everyone about the troubles of my friend Stevie Seaweed?"

I said: "When the phone rings and you see it's me, feel free to answer with 'Bleep you,' and then hang up.

The bonds of sobriety.

Maybe today I should do something nice for someone.  And not tell them it was me.

No comments: