Friday, January 4, 2013

Fearsome

I picked up a sponsee at the transitional meeting I attend in The New City.  I mentioned that the guy totally astounded me by picking up the phone AND completing the reading/writing assignments that I gave him, stuff that I never did.  Frankly, I just wanted to see how much crap I could get someone else to do - don't get me wrong because it was good stuff, just not stuff I would do without some brutal arm twisting.  As the time approached for SuperK and I to leave for our long vacation I found that I was having trouble telling the guy I was skipping town.  I kept postponing and delaying and procrastinating  until I finally left without saying a word.  Then, when I spoke with him on the phone, I continued to waffle on my return date.  I couldn't bring myself to say how long I would be gone even though I knew exactly how long I would be gone.

It occurred to me that I was simply afraid of what the guy was going to say about me.  Unless I thought I was somehow indispensable to his working of The Program - god help us all if my ego is still that out-sized.  I finally came clean, saying that it was going to be along time before I was returning.  He fired me immediately: "I think that I need a sponsor who's here in town."  

That guy's going to be OK.

No comments: