Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I Wonder Where He Is Now

This popped up in a totally random and very possibly illegal memory bank access, prompted by nothing specific that I'm aware of.  This is how my thinking works.  It's sort of like a free-form hallucinogenic dream.  When I start a conversation based on something that has come up, wraith-like, from my mind people often look away.  They don't feel compelled to talk back.  They hope I'll go away.

SuperK and I were in Belize for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day.  We stayed in a motel on the beach about half a mile from Belize City, the locus of the area's bars and nightclubs.  As is our habit on The Eve - a.k.a. Amateur's Night - we stayed in and probably were asleep before the ball dropped.

The next morning I was sitting on the balcony sipping on a coffee when I saw this guy heading my way from downtown.  He had either slept outside somewhere or not gone to bed at all, and he was drunk.  He was walking as if he had two large rubber bands hooked on his belt - one of them was pulling him forward and the other was yanking him back.  He would walk normally for a few steps; then his upper body would begin moving faster than his feet, until he was leaning so far forward his torso seemed to defy gravity - I was sure he was going to fall flat on his face.  Suddenly, he would almost stop his forward progress and jerk upright, pausing a second, waving gently in the wind,  before moving on.  But now the giant rear rubber band would spring into action and he would slowly, slowly begin leaning backward until he was at about a 45 degree angle.  He didn't fall.  He made his way down the beach, limboing forward and backward but never falling.  

It was hypnotic.

No comments: