Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chronic Condition

chronic condition is a human health condition that is persistent or otherwise long-lasting in its effects

 This from an excellent editorial about lying: "My own unscientific armchair diagnosis is that like other chronically unsatisfied people, the daily business of living caused my father despair."  The quote really doesn't have anything to do about lying.  I just thought it was funny that a quote that I really liked was buried in the text of an article about lying.  Being a liar and all.  

I thought: "Yes!  Yes, that's me!  Frustrated by the slog through the mud that is my miserable existence I'm chronically unsatisfied!"

Oh, brother.  No wonder I don't have any friends.  What a load of self-indulgent horsecrap.

I was at a men's 12 Step recovery retreat many years ago, talking to an old friend.  I was commenting on my general, consistent lack of gratitude.

He said this: "You believe that you're ungrateful but I see in the way you behave that you're not."

I have to remember that there is what's inside my head - self-indulgent horsecrap - and there's what is really going on in the world.

No comments: