Monday, August 5, 2024

Ouch

"This is a riddle of our existence, the full answer to which may be only in the mind of God."
Step Six, 12&12

I've taken a lot of comfort in this sentence over the years.  It has helped me come to terms with the idea that there's suffering and pain in the world.  I, personally, would have devised a system with no free will and no suffering.  I don't get suffering.  I don't get why an all-powerful Entity would set things up so that animals kill each other for food and humans kill each other for so many reasons I couldn't list them all here without screaming in frustration.  I don't get it.  And if you don't have a belief in a Higher Power concept then why in the world did evolution and natural selection move things forward so that humans have an almost limitless capacity for cruelty?  Why did genetics make that choice?

Sometimes it be like that.  It is what it is.  And it has always been that way as far as we can tell.  Anthropologists have been uncovering examples of cruelty and violence that occurred centuries ago, millennia ago.  Why did some ruler decide five thousand years ago that sacrificing a virgin to appease a god was a good idea?  What was the thought process?  What kind of divine power would want to take the life of a young girl as a token of appreciation?  How about a Moon Pie and a bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper instead?  At least you can enjoy the snack!  Did the higher power watch the blood sacrifice and say: "Wow, I feel better now that the child had her throat slit?"  Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!  You'd like to imagine the Higher Power shouting: "What the fuck are you doing? Stop that RIGHT NOW!" and just burning up the whole mess and starting over again.  If my creation did that stuff I would figured out that there must have been a whole lot of crack involved at some point.

For my sanity I don't question The System any more.  It's The System.  Divine intervention or selective evolution or random, dumbass luck, it doesn't do me any good to worry it to death.  Sickness and death and pain and loss is part of the human condition.  I'm good with that.

No comments: