Friday, August 30, 2024

Aphorisms and Proverbs and Other Pity Sayings

Self-Righteous:  Having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior; convinced of one's own righteousness, especially in contrast with the actions and beliefs of others; smugly moralistic and intolerant of the actions and opinions of others.

Man, these definitions are like eating Doritoes! - each successive one is better than the one preceding.  I'm especially fond of "smugly moralistic."  Whoo, boy.  "Convinced of one's own righteousness."  Oh, dude.  St. Anthony, on the other hand, reminds us that we should seek  "to understand rather than be understood."

"Often we make the assumption that our partners know what we think and that we don't have to say what we want.  We make the assumption that everyone sees life the way we do.  And when we believe something, we assume we are right about it to the point that we will destroy relationships in order to defend our position."

Man, c'mon, read my mind!  Fuck's the matter with you, anyway?  SuperK says this to me all the time: "Use your words, Seaweed, use your words."  People should just know what I want and then fulfill my every wish. 

"If others change, it's because they want to change, not because you can change them.  Real love is accepting other people the way they are without trying to change them.  If we try to change them, this means we don't really like them."

Man, nobody's listening to me!  They don't care what my thoughts are about how they can improve their morals and opinions.  Fuck's the matter with me, anyway?

"If you don't understand, ask.  Have the courage to ask questions until you are clear as you can be, and even then do not assume you know all there is to know about a given situation.  Also, find your voice to ask for what you want.  Everybody has the right to tell you no or yes, but you always have the right to ask.  Likewise, everybody has the right to ask you, and you have the right to say yes or no."

Man, somewhere in a distant galaxy long, long ago I heard the proverb "If you're unsure . .  the best answer is always No because it can more easily be changed to Yes than the other way around."  Sometimes people in A.A. will remind me that you shouldn't ever turn down an A.A. request, that you should never say no when someone asks you to be of service.  Fucking kidding me?  I say no all the time and if the petitioner presses his case I'll simply say that I don't want to do it.  Sometimes, I'll ask what the pay is and I remind folks that are looking for a sponsor that I'm very, very expensive, like a Wall Street lawyer.  I get results but it's gonna cost ya.

No comments: