Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Coffee For Three, Please

I was finishing up my walk on the beach today - it makes me smile every single time I repeat the phrase "walk on the beach" - and preparing for lunch with a sponsee who is mostly crazy when I decided to get in line at this little coffee kiosk for a jolt of caffeine.  A woman and her adult daughter got in line behind me and asked what I liked best at this kiosk.  We chatted amiably about nothing for a minute and I ordered and pointed at the two women: "And whatever they're having."  They had already told me what they were having so I had come to terms with how much of my cash I was going to be devoting to the well-being of someone else (shudder . . .) with a 100% certainty that it would never be reciprocated.  They demurred and deferred and deflected before letting me pony up for their drinks.

I like doing this.  People respond as if I'm passing out Maseratiis or something.  I like surprising people.  I like doing something unexpected.  I like to believe this will stand out in their day.  The college-aged daughter deferred even more, even after Mom had ordered her drink.  I think people are trying to be nice when they do that but - no shit, here - a lot of the fun on my end is in the giving (shudder shudder) of something, anything.  I do make a big effort to be androgynous as I do this where women are involved so they don't think I'm making a slick move or anything . . . as if I have any idea what a slick move would even look like.
 
This giving bullshit has really gotten under my skin . . . 

No comments: