Monday, July 22, 2024

Stupid and Stubborn Seaweed

From the 12 & 12:  "It is from our twisted relations with family, friends, and society at large that many of us have suffered the most.  We have been especially stupid and stubborn about them.  The primary fact that we fail to recognize is our total inability to form a true partnership with another human being."

Total:  Complete; absolute.  I note that it doesn't say that we have trouble with relationships from time to time.  It says that we always have trouble, every single time, without an exception, ever.

Stupid:  Having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.
Stubborn: Having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.

Stupid and stubborn.  I love it!  While I try not to give advice to new people - any people, actually - I will share what has worked for me and what has not, with the implication that this is something that maybe they could try.  I often have trouble keeping a straight face when the pushback comes, which it invariably does.  I think: "Oh, yeah, you know everything and I don't know shit."  God bless of us for being exactly who we should be.

More stuff: "We have not once sought to be one in a family, to be a friend among friends, to be a worker among workers, to be a useful member of society.  Always we tried to struggle to the top of the heap, or to hide underneath it.  This self-centered behavior blocked a partnership relation with any one of those about us.  Of true brotherhood we had small comprehension."

Look at me!  Look at me!  I'm the best!  I'm the greatest!  I mean . . .  Look away!  Look away!  I'm a piece of crap!

When we get sober we come face to face with the person who made us drink in the first place.

No comments: