Saturday, July 6, 2024

Exertion

Exertion:  Vigorous action or effort.

The Twelve and Twelve spoke to me this morning:  "More sobriety brought about by the admission  of alcoholism and by attendance at a few meetings is very good indeed, but it is bound to be a far cry from permanent sobriety and a contented, useful life.  Nothing short of continuous action upon these as a way of life can bring the much-desired life.  All of the Twelve Steps require sustained and personal exertion to conform to their principles and so, we trust, to God's will."

The italics are mine.  The definition is Webster's.  When I read the Alcoholics Anonymous literature closely I'm often struck by how often concepts and themes are repeated over and over and over again.  I take to heart the idea that a contented, useful life is going to require a lot of work on my part and that, ultimately, it's my responsibility to do that work all by myself.  We rely on each other, certainly, but the Buck Stops Here.

No comments: