Wednesday, July 10, 2024

In The Vault

I'm in a place in my life and my sobriety where the Native American meditation book I'm reading is really, really resonating.  I like the definition of "resonate," too.  Resonate: To have particular meaning or importance for someone.  I think in physics resonation means that the movement of one object produces a similar movement in another object.

Anyway . . .  "But anyone has to take care that a little success does not weaken effort or steal initiative.  Persistence must be our constant companion for however long it takes and for whatever it requires of us, to keep stretching our limits, refining our spirits, renewing our minds."

One of my A.A. daughters - a remarkable woman who has made so much progress so quickly in her first fifteen months - found that her increasingly busy life - and the weariness that can come from much activity - was edging out her meeting attendance and recovery work.  I understood.  I did not like it much as this can be a slippery slope.  I kept my mouth shut.  I noticed, after a bit, that she was showing up more often, and when I remarked on this, she affirmed a renewed commitment to the effort she was putting in to her recovery.  This pleased me.  As did the fact that I didn't have to say or do anything.  A lesson learned all on our own is so much more powerful than one forced on us.  If I ride with someone to an unfamiliar location I'm unable to duplicate the route when I'm alone but if I drive it myself?  In the vault.

No comments: