Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Muddled Answer is Perfectly Clear

Wait: To delay movement or action until some event or time; to remain neglected or in readiness. 

I'm pondering in the silence of my Devotion Space the amazing ways that the prayers I offer up are answered, or the voids I leave open when I meditate are populated with responses.  I have never been able to completely abandon the idea that my Higher Power is sitting there, pen and pad in hand, ready to jot down an immediate response to whatever self-centered screed I need answered.  He's a clever one, my higher power.  He answers, he always answers, it's just that the answers take so many shapes and forms.

One of my bad jokes is that I really want a dedicated hot line to heaven - like the one that's supposed to exist between Washington and Moscow so the leaders can quickly talk if nuclear winter seems imminent - that I can pick up each morning in order to dictate my needs and wants in excruciating detail to god.  Maybe it could be one of those tubes you can use at the drive-up window of a bank - you put your correspondence inside and vacuum pressure sucks it into the bowels of the bank.  A minute later you get your response.

A lot of the time the answers are pretty clear.  In others a unseen side alley or a trail hidden by vegetation opens up.  Unfortunately, of course, it's very common to have an obstacle thrown in my path that I have to overcome in order to get to the place I'm meant to be.  And then there's The Silence.  Nothing but Silence.  Wait.  Be patient.  Something will be revealed when it's time for that something to be revealed, and not a minute sooner.

No comments: