Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Pious When Right Which I Always Am

Sanctimonious:  Making a show of being morally better than others, especially hypocritically pious.

Continuing in the "just like that" theme I found out that a dear, old friend from The New City suffered a massive stroke, was quickly declared brain dead, and died shortly after life support was switched off.  I'm speculating here because I'm having trouble getting updates from the crew back home even though I'm doing a lot of reaching out.  And it has been established, of course, that it is all about me, and this holds true even when someone else has suffered a tragedy.  I can bring it all back to me at the drop of a hat.  It is my unique talent.

I'm confusing my sadness over this very sad event with my irritation that I'm so out o the loop. What do I expect?  It has been six years since I saddled up my ponies and hit the trail out west, a long time to keep the intimacy and connectedness alive in relationships.  Fair enough.  But I have to balance this with the fact that I'm good at reaching out and staying in touch so I'm feeling some natural frustration at the lackadaisical response.  I can forgive people for being distracted by their suffering but I still don't get it completely.   I wouldn't treat people this way so I'm not as understanding when I'm treated this way.

So I'm sad at the loss of my buddy, mad at the disrespect I'm being shown, and embarrassed that I'm somehow managing to turn a tragic, sudden death into a petty story about what's going on with me.  

I go to the meeting yesterday morning and one of my friends starts texting during the readings.  I try to balance my Bleeding Deacon-sim (not my business what this dude is doing) with my Elder Statesmanship (fact: it's rude, disrespectful, and sends the wrong message to newcomers, not forgetting that it hurts the person not paying attention).  My friend is a confrontational guy like me so let's say this didn't go well.

I'm pondering an amend but I don't think it's coming because I'm right and when I'm right I'm unbelievably sanctimonious. 

No comments: