Saturday, May 14, 2016

Logically Intuitive

Intuition:  Immediate cognition without the use of conscious rational processed; a perceptive insight gained by the use of this faculty.

"In thinking about our day we may face indecision.  We may not be able to determine which course to take.  Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or decision.  We relax and take it easy.  We don't struggle.  We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while."

And then, of course, the famous: "We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us."

I was in the pool the other day - I know, I know, everyone is sick of the pool stories but this is a pool story featuring me behaving well - telling a friend who had inquired about my absence where I had been.  At one point I shared with him the last words that I had spoken to my father before he died - my father, not the friend in the pool, who definitely did not die.  I noticed that he appeared to be on verge of tears because he was, in fact, on the verge of tears.  It made me feel good, partially because it's nice to know that others share your pain but mostly because it confirmed that what I said to my dad, the sentiments I tried to convey through the shreds of physical reality that he was clinging onto, were reasonable and appropriate.  

I think a lot about intuition.  As a general rule it doesn't play a big part in determining the behavior of personality types like mine - INTJs are big into logical planning and practical action. We make flow charts, do research, pull the trigger on actions that make solid, rational sense. Standing back, getting a feel for something, and then letting it rip isn't who we are. Still, there I was, confronting a dying parent - my one and only chance to do this - and I came up with something that felt right to me and sounded right to some others.

Weird shit, man, weird shit.

No comments: