Saturday, August 31, 2013

SuperK On A Grouch and A Brainstorm

I get mad all the time.  It's no big deal.  Nobody likes it but it doesn't surprise them, either.  SuperK, on the other hand, doesn't get mad very often.  When she does get mad I pull out the camcorder because it's quite the show.

We dealt with a vendor here in Vacation City as we were trying to get situated in our new place.  It was one of those situations where we explained what we wanted to do and the representative assured us that the solution he was proposing was going to do just that.  He had to take us at our word that we were indeed going to do what we said we were going to do and we had to assume he was telling the truth that his stuff was going to get that thing done.  There was a certain amount of trust in the transaction.  There was also the possibility that everyone was lying like a biker.  The guy seemed really nice and we trusted him.  I'm no sucker but I also don't spend all my time assuming I'm going to get screwed, even though I'm getting screwed all the time.  My life is really terrible with all of the liars taking advantage of me.  It's a wonder that I can even get up in the morning.

This trust serves SuperK and me well.  For the most part we're honest with people and they're honest with us.  In this instance, as I'm sure you've surmised, the solution was not a solution at all.  The stuff didn't work as advertised so we took it back, as permitted under our 14 day trial period.  There was a restocking fee and a usage fee which together added up to roughly 182% of what the entire monthly charge was supposed to be.  We found this distressing as we had the equipment for 3 days, or roughly 10% of the time that can be found in your average month.

I'm not going to recount the pissing match that went on for a couple of days in great detail.  Let's just say that there was a lot of pissing going on.  Our sales-guy was on vacation so we assumed, of course, that he was a lying liar who lied to us to meet some kind of sales quota, unconcerned as to whether or not we were happy with his product and services.  We met with another sales-guy and an assistant manager; we called technical support; we called the corporate offices; if by "we" you mean "SuperK."  I'm not permitted to speak generally but when I think I've been lied to and money is involved I'm not on the bus.  I'm not going to tell you how much money was involved, either, because it wasn't very much - between $22 and $43, if you just have to know.

A lot of the time I'll pay a small charge that I find objectionable because I know peace of mind is priceless.  But I'm also willing to stick to my guns if I think I've been lied to.  This was a big company and I think they thought that we were going to go away- they didn't know that they were dealing with a couple of alcoholics who thought they were getting screwed.

Poor big company.

No comments: