Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Not Sure He Gets The Point

A while back a guy I know in recovery asked for help in getting started with his financial amends.  I've done this a few times with other people - I'm pretty good with numbers and I love spending someone else's money.  I've found the problem most people have with financial amends is that they're simply afraid to look at the numbers.  It all starts with the numbers.  People don't have a good grasp of where their money is going, so they waste a lot of it.

Anyway, we tallied up this guy's assets and liabilities and came up with a game plan so that he could get free from the money fears.  He said it was important to be accountable so he was going to call me every week to let my know how things were progressing.  I always careful to tell folks to make use of all available resources when working with money.  Just because I'm cheap it doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about.  

I was a little dubious about how much effort he was putting into his recovery overall so I was a lot dubious that there was going to be much of a real push with the money problems.  He didn't call the first week.  He called the second week to tell me he was going to talk to someone else which sounded like a bit of a punt to me.

That was the last call I got from him.

I did note on his Facebook page that he traveled to an expensive city in California for some vacation.  I noted he left his city to go to Disneyland.  I quit noting things after this.  I'm not mad or surprised but I'm not going to waste any more time with his bullshit.  I'm sympathetic - I want to right wrongs without doing any work or feeling any discomfort.

Last call for alky-haul.

No comments: