Friday, August 9, 2013

Progress, Not Something Or The Other

The topic of today's post is "What the Hell Is the Matter With Me, Anyway?"  That could very well be the title of the entire blog.  I could write about why I still go to meetings or how I hide selfish intentions under the guise of a good action or speculate on how clever I am at complicating everything.

I sent my relative a check for $100 in a nice card with a nice note.  I tried to be sincere with the note but it didn't work very well.  The note itself was nice but I didn't mean very much of it.  I still think a favor is a favor and I still think I did a lot of nice things - always picking up the check for meals and coffees and the like - and I still think I didn't get the credit that I so richly deserve.

My relative cashed the check without comment.  I was fairly sure that this would happen but it still stunned me into a temporary resentment.  Apparently my generosity is so much bullshit, something I tell myself to ease my own struggles with the demons Power, Sex, and Money.  Man, those demons are huge.  They never quit.  They never take a day off.  They're hard-wired into my consciousness.  I'm better with them but I'm not as good as I think I am.

Enough already, right?  A new guy could say: "Hey, maybe you should leave these people alone?"  This isn't a complicated situation - these folks stand on my buttons with all of their weight every time I see them. 


No comments: