Sunday, August 18, 2013

Over, Under, Sideways, Down

Waste:  Extravagant consumption or ineffectual use.

As I stay alive and stay sober one of the most enduring surprises in my life is how rarely things that I worry about come to pass.  I mean . . . it has to be approaching 100%.  I waste vast amounts of time worrying about things that don't happen.  Sometimes I get stuff in my head that gets stuck in there but good for a day or two or three and then doesn't come true.  It's bad enough when I waste a few hours worrying about something stupid but a few days?  The self-knowledge that I'm wasting my time can be helpful but it hasn't relieved me of the tendency.

Making things worse is that when something that I'm worrying about does happen it's almost   never as bad as I imagine it will be.  And I handle it.  When something unpleasant happens I deal with it and I learn from it.  Not always quickly but I get something out of almost everything, good or bad.  I evolve.

I also give myself a break.  I'm a human dude despite my god-like tendencies and supernatural wisdom.  I can't get through this vale of tears without some things happening that I don't like.  It's the fighting it instead of going with the flow that makes me nuts.

Over, under, sideways, down.

No comments: