Sunday, August 4, 2013

$100

Several years ago a relative asked me for money as my contribution to a family meal she was hosting.  I was thinking more along the lines of picking up a pie or some good rolls.  I had offered to host alternate meals at my place but my no alcohol policy took the starch out of that idea almost immediately.  My relatives tried it once, fleeing as soon as the coffee was served as if the house was radiating toxic gas.

Incensed at this affront I called my friend Shorty who interrupted me and said, bluntly: "Here's what you're going to do.  You're going to send her the check."  Which I did, muttering curses, quickly freeing myself from what would surely have been a lingering, poisonous, utterly useless resentment.

I bought my Vacation City relative a Thank You card, wrote a nice note, and stuck in a hundred dollar check.  I mailed it off.  I hate giving up the money but if you had told me that I could have avoided two or three days of angst I would have sent her a two hundred dollar check.   

No comments: