Friday, October 26, 2012

Shaken, Then Stirred

I approach most situations with the technique, experience, and intuition of a 5 year old.  This has caused some difficulties in my adult life and it wasn't a joy ride when I was 5, either.

I start out by being impatient - I want things to be all fixed up immediately.  I want problems solved, conundrums plumbed, and mysteries demystified.  I want to know the future.  I want to control the future.  In my experience controlling outcomes is a rarity.  Outcomes come out sometime down the road, in a time and place of their choosing.  I can force and strain and grunt all I want and still not change the natural ebb and flow of things, the vagaries, the vicissitudes, and any other words that start with a V that I'm overlooking.

I also have a tendency to make do.  I want to look on the bright side of things.  Being positive and optimistic is a wonderful coping technique that I overdo.  I'm the guy sitting there with my hair on fire and my ass beginning to smolder, thinking: "Hey, this isn't so bad."  Sometimes I need to be shaken and stirred.

Somewhere in between.

No comments: