Tuesday, October 9, 2012

On Top of the World

I took a 5 hour hike yesterday with a couple of friends from The Program.  For the first couple of hours we climbed steadily through forest and then alpine meadows until we reached a spot to eat lunch that was just below the tree line.  It was a perfect fall day on the mountain - cool enough for a jacket in the shade but at the top the sun was so intense I got a little sunburn.  We ate facing the glacier at the very top of the range.  It was funny to think that the area would be under 5 feet of snow in a couple of months.

It was extraordinarily quiet.  I have grown so accustomed to all the racket in my city life that it's almost alarming to have a lack of noise.  There weren't any tall trees so even the whooshing, whistling noise of wind stirring the branches was absent.  My ears felt a little ringey because of the elevation and the strenuous climb.  The intense exercise had helped me burn off most of the nervous energy that often plagues my day.  I was calm.  I was in the moment.  I was on my toes and hyper-vigilant for the sound of foraging bears.  It was really quite nice.  

This is a beautiful world we live in.  If only I paid attention every now and then.

No comments: