Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Analogous

I've always enjoyed analogies.  They take something amorphous and make it concrete.  The fir analogy is one of my favorites.  I know what fire is.  I'm familiar with fire.  I've used fire or its proxies to cook my food, warm up some water so I can have a hot bath, and heat my home.  These are normal uses of fire.  Normal people use fire like this.  Cavemen used fire like this at the dawn of civilization, for chrissake.  Bored with any conformity, I instead opted to start a huge fire using gasoline, kerosene, and other highly flammable accelerants and attempt to burn down the entire building, pausing only to stick my hands in the flames or to heat some water to a full boil for no known purpose.

I can apply this reasoning to my life in general.  I'm jumpy, edgy, and full of nervous energy.  I'm bored easily, frustrated when I don't get what I want and infuriated when things go awry.  I don't even want good things - I want NEW things.  The obscure point I'm trying to make is that I don't let this stuff dominate me.  It's close but I have the upper hand, barely.

Today I'm still using too much gasoline instead of some small sticks of kindling, and I'm starting the fire in a trash can in the kitchen instead of the fireplace but I'm keeping an eye on it.  I cook the odd marshmallow over the trash can and call it dinner, but I've purchased a fire extinguisher which I use when the curtains ignite.  I'm better but I'm not the complete package.  I'm a work in progress.  

I guess I just like to see things burn.


No comments: