Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Jackals and Liars and Flowers in Spring

Today I got THE CALL about my sales territory. I knew that THE CALL was coming. I had a premonition and uncanny foresight. I could see into the future. My crystal ball was white hot and on target. I knew it was going to happen, and I still lost my temper. I can't even imagine what an ass I must have been when I was drinking given my talent for acting like an ass today.

Anyway, THE COMPANY has decided that my territory is too large so they are going to lop off part of it and feed it to another sales group, hereafter referred to as THE JACKALS. For 10 years I performed at a high level for THE COMPANY, meeting or exceeding whatever ridiculous and illusory sales target that they assigned to me. They showed their gratitude by paying me, which is really all the gratitude that I needed. It would have been nice if someone would have called and said: "Hey, good job. Thanks. How did you do it?" or something along those lines. I don't think my ego is a rampaging buffalo any more but it still rampages from time to time. More of a rampaging squirrel or hedgehog. It rampages but without the force of a large buffalo. Hard for a rampaging hedgehog to do much damage.

Corporations are no longer too interested in people, in my opinion, preferring rather to blindly chase after short term profits, ignoring any possible long term structural damage to their organization. They are kind of like cocaine addicts. Profits feel so good they keep pressing the lever for another profit pellet. They would gnaw off their own foot to get another profit pellet, so they sure have no problem feeding me to the THE JACKALS. I think they hope that THE JACKALS have a hidden cache of profit pellets they can get at.

The guy that delivered the news danced around the topic like Leonard Bernstein conducting "Flight of The Bumblebees." He pretended to give me some options to stop the dismantling of my responsibility, when we both knew that the decision had been made. I let him hang himself for a while even though I like the guy. I knew he was lying; he knew I knew he was lying; but I didn't put a stop to it. If you know someone is lying the honorable thing is to just call them on it. I let an unpleasant piece of my personality take charge for a while. I remember doing all that lying when I was drinking, knowing all the while that I wasn't fooling anyone. It was not a good feeling. I think I may have mentioned that my main motivation for not lying isn't that I don't like to lie or I'm not good at it, but I so hate to caught lying.

Finally, I interrupted him and made him say: "The decision has already been made." In my opinion, THE COMPANY is not being too smart. They should either take the territory away immediately, like pulling off a band-aid affixed to arm hair, or they should send me some kind of guarantee that I will get paid for anything I work on before they pull off the band-aid. Dumb asses. What motivation do I have now to follow up on a project in Cleveland or Akron? Love of THE COMPANY? Love of THE JACKALS?

It's also pretty amazing how furious I get when someone is making a lousy decision. I understand why THE COMPANY is doing what they are doing but I'm pretty sure it's the wrong move. And because I do plenty of stupid things I have taken the time to write about this and call my sponsor and other friends to get their take on the matter. I don't want my love of money, ego, and sex blind me which they are wont to do.

And I have to laugh at how great I am at dispensing advice like "This too shall pass" or "Acceptance is the answer" when you are having troubles. If you want to give me that advice I'd suggest stepping back a couple of paces because I have been known to really swing for the fences when I'm being bedeviled and irritated.

I am so getting screwed.

No comments: