Thursday, April 4, 2013

Will Rogers, Bombarder

Bombard:  
  1. To attack something with bombsartillery shells or other missiles or projectiles.
  2. (figuratively) To attack something or someone by directing objects at them.
  3. (physics) To direct at a substance an intense stream of high-energy particles, usually sub-atomic or made of at most a few atoms.

You gotta love our Founders and the language they used.  It's so . . . colorful.  Descriptive.  The idea that I use my Will to bombard my problems with it instead of trying to align it with whatever I believe the plans of my Higher Power are.

I spend a lot of time pondering the use of the Will.  I've got a hell of a Will that I use like a Medieval battering ram to get what I want.  My Will is a bulldozer with a deranged operator who carries out an order to move a pile of dirt by driving over seven houses, eight cars, a whole bunch of people and animals, and a cliff or two just to get to the pile of dirt.  We're not going into what I do after I get the dirt picked up.  I'm lucky if I don't lose focus and walk off, leaving the 'dozer idling in the street.

I do like the emphasis on the proper use of the Will versus the improper use of the Will.  I like that we're reminded that we are not aware of any cases so far where an individual has been able to completely eliminate his instinctual drives for sex, money, and power.  My New City sponsor is always saying: "Well, sounds like you're a human being."  I have to remember to set my sites on a lofty goal while remembering to give myself a break for falling short.

The problem isn't the bulldozer - the problem is the bulldozer operator.  I can operate it properly and I can operate it poorly: the choice is mine.  The bulldozer isn't going to cause any problems all by itself.  Today when I get confused I can turn the thing off and make a few phone calls, see if I can get some suggestions that don't involve running over shit.

Nah.

No comments: