Saturday, April 6, 2013

Have A Nice Day Elsewhere

Grasp:  To grab onto tightly with the hand; grip.

My lovelier than ever wife chaired the 11th Step meeting this morning.  She often mentions the futility in grasping onto things; any things.

One thing that has happened to me as I work The Steps is that everything seems to get simpler and slower.  I've been reminded by a few of my crueler friends that some of this is because I'm getting older and I understand less at a slower rate.  Some of them suggest that I substitute "old" for "older" when they're doing it, god bless 'em.

When I was drinking I took very simple matters, complicated them with all of my drinking and drugging and general chaos-ing, then got busy trying to solve them FAST!  REAL FAST!!  And I didn't let insurmountable obstacles or a total lack of knowledge as to how to repair the damage get in my way.

Everything that I say is a crisis is not a crisis.  Lack of planning on my part does not constitute an emergency on your part.

I was the guy in a burning airplane, flinging myself out the emergency door without bothering to put on my parachute, because I wanted to solve the problem FAST!  Either that or I was still in the burning aircraft when it slammed into the ground, taking my time to study The History of Parachute Manufacture before feeling confident about the efficacy of parachute wearing before putting on my parachute.

When I should have been doing it, I wasn't; and when I shouldn't have been doing it I was sure as shit doing it.

No comments: