Friday, April 12, 2013

Tomorrow's Good

Crossing the Rubicon:  Making an irrevocable decision.

I didn't bring a printer to Vacation City - a computer printer, not an actual person printer, although I didn't bring one of those, either.  This left me in a bit of a pinch because I needed to print out some tax forms.  You got to love the government - you can mail in your taxes for free or they'll charge you a bunch of money to file them electronically.  I guess they want all of the paper piling up in a warehouse somewhere.

I asked one of the drunks across the street if she had a printer I could borrow.  She did.  
"If you need anything - Anything! - just ask," she shouted in my face, confirming my belief that she thinks I'm hard of hearing or that I don't speak English.  I'm assuming that if I ask her to ratchet back the noise the request won't be well-received.  Still, I appreciated the gesture - drunks have good hearts, by and large.

I had to make an appointment to go get the printer.  She lives maybe 20 yards away from me on the ground floor of an apartment building right across the street.  I can see into her living room from my front porch.  I had envisioned walking across the street and picking up the printer.

"Now's not good," she said.  She was sitting in a chair drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette.  We agreed to meet the following morning at 9AM.  I had my executive assistant call and confirm the appointment, get directions to her place, and arrange for other logistical support.

I got the printer and hooked it up.  The ink cartridges were as dry as the Sahara.  I called up one of my buddies in The Program and took my PC over to his place, printed out a few pages.  It was a lot easier dealing with a sober adult.

Today I saw the drunk.

"Can I bring the printer back over?" I asked.  She was sitting in the chair again, drinking something colored out of a tumbler.

"You can keep it until you leave," she said.

"I'm done with it," I said.

"How about tomorrow morning?" she replied. 

Frankly, I'm a little intimidated now.  I don't know what kind of head games she's playing with me.  Why can't I just bring the printer over?  I can bring it over and set it on the table next to the chair.  She didn't let me in her apartment when I picked up the printer so I assume she's not going to let me in when I bring it back.  If I put it on the table she can take it inside whenever she wants.  Maybe this is some kind of insurance scam or confidence game.  I just don't know

It's not often that someone can shut me up.  I can come up with some kind of response to just about anything, no matter how weird or hostile or confusing but she's got me stumped.  I backed away and slunk into my house.   It reminds me of an incident a few years ago when I showed up at the security desk of a company to meet a customer.

"I have an appointment with Mr. X," I said.

"Appointment!?" the guard said, a little too loudly, in an aggressive, accusatory tone.

I froze like a deer in the headlights.  I didn't know how to respond.  It was a simple, frequently used word and I assumed he encountered a lot of people who said exactly the same thing in the course of a day.

He looked at me for a moment, then picked up the phone and called my contact.


No comments: