Friday, April 26, 2013

Thanks for Your Note!!!


So I did want to give an official tip of the hat to Mitch . . . er, Martin for the great job he did for me.  I'm quick to complain, loath to praise.  The following is the note I sent to Mitch's . . . er, Martin's supervisor.  I made sure I had his email before I left.  I also tipped Hector $5 and I tipped the guy who put the tire on the next day - Raul, I believe, also $5.  I could have tipped them more but their respective reactions lead me to believe that they don't get tipped very often.

"Dear Mr. Big Shot District Manager:

I wanted to send a note along to express my sincere appreciation that Martin is one of your employees.  My wife and I were traveling on a Sunday when I blew a run-flat tire on my Very Expensive Car.  The totally unhelpful Very Expensive Car Dealer sent me to your store where I got a chance to see how a real service manager takes care of his customers.  Martin didn't have the unusual tire size in stock - offering to have it at his place and installed first thing in the morning - but he did take the time to inspect the tire with one of his mechanics, Hector.  Because the tire was so damaged they brought a couple of similar tires out to try to find a temporary solution before finally settling on one that was slightly smaller.  This allowed us to get to a hotel a few miles away safely.
 
First of all, if I received this service just passing through I can only imagine how well your regular customers are being treated.  This man is going to build your business.  And I was just as impressed with the interaction between the front office guy and the mechanic - there was no "you're just the manager" or "you're just the mechanic" dynamic in play.  This kind of teamwork is going to make for happy employees.  Between the two of them they came up with the solution.
 
Thanks again for a tremendous job  by tremendous employees.
 
Gratefully,
Little Stevie Seaweed"

I received a reply that evening:

"Dear Mr. Seaweed:

Thanks so much for the feedback !!! I will make sure Martin is commended for his customer service!!! It's not often we get to hear when we do something right!!! I appreciate you taking the time and thank you for the business.

Mr. Big Shot District Manager"

I don't know about the exclamation points.  Am I to assume that he was yelling these things at me.  He could have spoken in a normal voice and I would have gotten the same message.

Just trying to be of service.

No comments: