Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Drunks Rampaging on a Balking Investigation

Risk:  A possible, usually negative, outcome; e.g, a danger.

The drunks across the street think things are funny - very, very funny.  They laugh a lot.  They laugh so loudly the pictures rattle on the walls.   I thought that I was in the middle of an earthquake the first time one of them told a joke.  I personally wouldn't call what they do laughing - it's more of a scream-laugh.  The louder the scream the more you can be sure that they're really, really having fun. People having fun laugh all the time.

I must report that the things I overhear aren't that funny.  I cringe when they tell me one of the funny things because I have to plaster this fake smile on my face.  I'm tempted to say: "That's not funny."  I don't have the guts to say that but I really, really want to.

SuperK has decided that I should go into Risk Management.  She thinks I should be a Risk Management consultant.

"What about a Senior Risk Management consultant? " I asked.  "If I'm going to do something that I don't know anything about why not have a extensive experience?"
"What kind of risk am I consulting on?" I asked, after a minute.
"All kinds of risk," she said.  "It doesn't really matter.  You're the expert of risk and it's your job, your obligation to help these people mitigate it. You're always talking about being of service - why not do something about it? "
"OK," I said.  "How about this: 'Mr. Client.  This is very risky.  This, too, is risky.  This is not that risky.  This isn't risky at all but it could become extremely risky.' "
"That'll be a hundred thousand dollars," she said.

I threw a penny into a fountain today and made a wish.  The fountain tossed the penny back out.  That wasn't a good sign.  I don't think that wish is going to come true.  I think it was the "Ferrari" part of the wish that was problematic.

No comments: