Monday, June 20, 2011

Tidbits and Nuggets

Impatience.  The Quick-Fix.  How frustrating it is to sit and wait for discomfort to pass.


The 80% rule: I should spend 80% of my time thinking good, positive thoughts, or 80% of my time being positive and happy.  Not to suggest that the rest of the time I have free reign to wallow in self-pity and manufactured tragedy, but still.


The Theory of The Bong: when I didn't feel comfortable I could always grab some dope and go for the quick, very quick, temporary, very temporary fix.  I didn't chose to concentrate on the temporary part; I was more enamored with the quick part.  My favorite cartoon character was Quick Draw McGraw.  I'm lying there.  My favorite character is really Leghorn Foghorn, who said things such as: "You're doing a lot of choppin', but no chips are flyin',"  and "Go away, boy, ya bother me!"  He really got my attention as a newly sober guy when he exhorted me on:  "The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em! Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball!"


Having to spend some uncomfortable time because the The Quick Fix is no more.  As they told me at the start: "Boy . . I say, Boy! . .  sometimes you just have to sit there and take it."

No comments: