Monday, June 27, 2011

Newish

One of the things I notice most talking to people who are newish in recovery is the frenetic pace of their thinking and their actions and their desire to get somewhere important fast.  I know that I'm a case study for this kind of behavior.  I was not interested in waiting to see how things might work out, to standing stock still until I got some kind of feeling that I should move and move in a particular direction.  I think that good advice for all of us to take is: "Hey.  Relax."  Sometimes I'll ask a simple question and these people will unload for a minute or two without taking a breath.  They bring up so many topics that I could talk at length on several of them.


People who have a bit of sobriety and are still active in their step work have a much stronger sense of calmness.  I was definitely attracted to that when I first came in.  Hell, I'm attracted to that today.  It's just a feeling of . . . calmness.  It's an unhurried air.  Not a lazy, unmotivated attitude, but a calm one.

No comments: