Friday, June 10, 2011

Competitive Meditation

Meditate:  T think deeply and continuously; reflect; ponder; muse.


SuperK has been reading some meditation books lately.  "How To" kind of books with titles like "Meditation Made Easy" and "Three Steps to A Serene Soul."  I find this kind of funny when I think about it.  I'm used to reading books with titles like "How to Increase Your Self-Esteem and Personal Confidence, Be Supremely Happy, and Crush Bitterly Hated Business Rivals With Your Leather Jackboot, While Making a Fortune in the Red Hot Real Estate Market!"  It's weird to think about getting better at something which tells you it's OK to not be that good at something.


I'm OK -- You're a Loser.  There's a book I'd like to see published.


Anyway, she's giving me all of these great, helpful tips for improving my mediation life.  Actually, she's just sharing some things she read.  She's not trying to out-meditate me but it IS getting my competitive juices flowing.  I want to start out-meditating her.  I want to be the most humblest meditator out there.  I want to be in the Zone.  I want Enlightenment.


Great idea for a new business start up: Competitive Meditation.


Anyway, the best idea we have been kicking around is making sure we check our level of contentment frequently.  When I'm not content -- distressingly often -- I need to spend a little time making sure I know why.  Am I frustrated because I'm not getting something I want.  Am I afraid of losing something that I already have.


Several years ago, and after several years of constant bitching, my wife agreed to let me buy a used sports car.  I had always wanted a car like this, and I looked damn good in it, to the guys at least -- I don't think any women ever glanced my way when I was driving it.  Here's the funny part: it was a little touchy and temperamental and expensive to fix, which I had to do often because it was so touchy and temperamental.  After 5 years I sold it, and I was never so glad to be rid of something in my life.


Be careful what you pray for: you might get it.



No comments: