Thursday, June 23, 2011

Good Old Rocky Top, Rocky Top USA

I was out near the ocean for a couple of days this week.  The coast is not gentle here -- it's rocky and windswept -- but it's really quite beautiful.  SuperK and I did a bunch of hiking during our visit.  The area gets a tremendous amount of rain so it's as green a place as you'll ever see.  I've been in the jungles of Central and South America a few times and the vegetation here is as thick as anything I've encountered.  I like to hike in the Southwest as well, which is quite a different environment.    Here the vegetation has all of the resources it can handle, but the real estate is quite coveted.  In the desert, there's a lot of empty space for anything that wants to grow: it's the resources that are in short supply.


Anyway, I find that when I place myself in the middle of any of the wonderful natural places that exist in this country I hook up with my higher power.  I posted some pictures of this series of hikes and one of my buddies from The Old City made the comment: "How can you deny the existence of god looking at that kind of beauty?"  I think again and again of those kooky monks living in remote places, rocky promontories and tall mountain tops, and nod to myself: yeah, they knew what they were doing. 

No comments: