Sunday, December 5, 2010

Turkey Gravy

Worry:  A troubled state of mind; anxiety; distress; care; uneasiness.

Here is one of the bits of wisdom that I love to ladle out like turkey gravy: "What can you do about it right now?"  It's pretty good advice, actually; it has its origin in the world famous slogan One Day at a Time.  Alcoholics, especially new ones, are always trying to solve future problems.  It's a compelling thing to do.  We learn quickly that a lot of stuff has to work its way through The System.  Many things resolve all by themselves and with no input from us.  This doesn't mean that we always put this excellent, practical knowledge to good use, preferring to wile away hour after hour in stressful, unproductive worrying.

As a general comment apropos of nothing right now, if someone were to say that to me this morning, my reply might be structured along the following lines: "I can punch you in your #*#!! nose is what I can do."  Not polite, but clear in its intent.

When I give this advice to others, I'm on my toes.  That's some practical advice for you.

No comments: