Thursday, December 16, 2010

Analogy Steve

Analogy:  An explaining of something by comparing it point by point with something else.

I got a note yesterday from a good friend chipping in some good natured thoughts on my incessant house angst.  He came up with the analogy of someone holding on to one of the ropes that keep a helium balloon on the ground.  If something bad happens, Hindenburg-wise, we do have the option of letting go of the rope.  I feel like I've been preparing for months to cut the permanent moorings of one of my own personal Hindenburgs, confident that I can control the beast with my own control rope.

I am now 18,000 feet above the surface of the earth and I passed a couple of F-16s getting to that altitude.  I didn't think things out as well as I had thought I had thinked them out.

There's a good movie called Danny Deckchair.  Danny has a crappy life and he hooks some big balloons to a  . . . well, deckchair . . . and floats away.  He lands somewhere else and starts a new, better life. I like the idea although the premise was pretty implausible.  It required one to suspend one's belief system temporarily.

I also like the analogy of the roller coaster.  It takes a long time to get to the top of that first hill.  You can look around and jam your feet under the seat in front of you and generally prepare for the big drop.  But once you crest the top things start to move fast and there's precious little you can do about it.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

No comments: