Friday, October 16, 2009

Truth or Consequences

Consequent: Following as a result; resulting; following as a logical inference or conclusion; proceeding in logical sequence.

What a shock it was to find out that there were consequences to my actions. I was more comfortable living in a heartless, random universe where great forces and distant powers determined the course of my life. I'm not suggesting that there aren't great forces and powers out there -- I am married, after all, and there's nothing distant about the situation -- but I don't think that they're that they're that involved. I feel that way about god. I don't think god finds me a parking space when I'm running late. I don't think he/she/it is that interested in the excruciating minutia of my daily life.

It makes me think before I do something. My actions affect things. I can't just go spinning off like a top on crank anymore and expect to start from scratch the next day. I can't just say what I want or do what I want to do. I'm not 5 years old. I shouldn't have to be taught something this basic.

I surmise that this isn't surprising information to the vast majority of adults in the world.

No comments: